The Benaki Museum (Athens Greece), in the framework of the exhibition "Chronis Pechlivanidis a journey in the world of Sufism", organized a meeting in the Museum's auditorium for Thursday the 10th of July titled: Sufism-approaches and experiences. (http://www.benaki.gr/index.asp?id=203000001&lang=en&sid=1507)
The goal of the meeting was to inform and enlighten the public
on the principles and the history of the movement, as well as the
presentation of the expression of Sufism in the different Eastern
areas of the world, the Balkans, and North Africa.
Participating in the meeting were the following speakers:
- Aggelika Ziaka, Assistant Professor in the Department of Theology, Aristotle University of Salonica
- Helen Kondili-Mpasoukou, Deputy Professor of Turkish and Modern Asiatic Studies at the University of Athens.
- S. Mohammad T. Shariat-Panahi, Post-Doctoral Fellow in the Department of History, Bogazici University of Istanbul.
- Gerasimos Makris, Deputy Professor in the Department of Social Anthropology, Panteion University.
- George Mavromatis, Lecturer in the Department of Sciences of Education, Preschool Ages, Democritus University of Thrace.
- Chronis Pechlivanidis, Director and Creator of the projections in the exhibit.
Organization and Coordination
- Mina Moraitou, Curator of the Islamic Collection, Benaki Museum
At the end of the various speeches, a visit took place and a performance was given, in the area of the exhibit by the study team of the Ecstatic Swirl of Vikou Naxmia.
See the video of the Symposium here